How to Find a Lawyer September 22, 2014
Disputes happen on a daily basis. Sometimes you just need a few days to pass to allow the dust to settle before coming to an amicable solution, but other times you may need to seek assistance from a professional. If you have exhausted all measures you can think of to resolve your issue with the other party, it may be time to find a lawyer for sound counsel and/or representation. But how do you go about doing so? Where should you start? It might take a little digging and research, but that is to be expected if you want to find a lawyer who can best address your particular legal needs. To give you a place to start, we’ve compiled a list of guidelines to help you find a lawyer if you should ever need one.
- Ask around. – One of the first steps you should take when trying to find a lawyer is ask around for advice. Ask friends, family members and other people in your circles if they know of a lawyer who could help you out or could recommend one to you. Keep in mind that all cases are different, so you might have to find a lawyer who specializes in different area of law than the one who helped your friends or coworkers with their legal issues.
- Have an idea about the area of law your case fits into. – Just as physicians specialize in different areas of practice, lawyers specialize in different areas of law. This being the case, it’s important to find a lawyer who can best address your case’s needs. For example, if you are dealing with a divorce, you’ll need to seek out a lawyer who specializes in family law. Similarly, you’ll need to find a lawyer who specializes in criminal defense if you’re facing DUI charges.
- Have an idea about what type of lawyer you’ll need. – Depending on your particular legal issue, you will need to find a lawyer whose personality and legal methods align with the type of outcome you desire. For example, if you’re dealing with a custody or divorce issue, you may want to find a lawyer whose methods are amicable as opposed to aggressive. If you’re seeking compensation for a personal injury case, you’ll want to find a lawyer who’s aggressive and will fight for the maximum amount of compensation.
- Reach out to a referral service. – Many communities have referral services available to help their citizens find a lawyer. This could be a good place to start, but just keep in mind that sometimes these referral services do not take experience or expertise into account when helping people find a lawyer.
- Contact a state or federal agency for assistance. – If you are having trouble in your quest to find a lawyer, it may be a wise choice to reach out to a state or federal agency for help. They should have information that can put you in contact with an attorney who can best address your needs. The easiest way to find these agencies is to do an Internet search or peruse the phone book.
Trying to find a lawyer can be a difficult task, but it’s worth it. If you reside in North Texas, consider browsing through our list of attorneys to see if Hayes, Berry, White & Vanzant, L.L.P. can be of assistance. Click here to find a lawyer at our law firm who may be able to help with your legal matter.
This email was initiated at www.hbwvlaw.com. The content of this email is provided by and is the responsibility of the person posting the email communication. Your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You acknowledge that any reliance on material in email communications is at your own risk.